Copyright issues

OurJud
Ever since I discovered this software I've been contemplating a Red Dwarf game. I notice there's a Hitch Hiker's Guide game on the main site, but know nothing about its development.

What's the sketch in that area?

Marzipan
The HGttG on the front page isn't a Quest game, it's the classic one from the 80s that was written with Douglas Adams' input. (Well worth a play if you've never tried it.)

As for fan-based games in general, unless the site has a specific policy I would assume it would all fall into the same category as fanfiction or fanart. ie: everybody's been doing it for years and lawyers long ago stopped giving a crap as long as you're not making any money.

Silver
Yeah, I'd only worry if you had long term plans to monetise it. Using copyright media in the game might be problematic though (like screengrabs from episodes or audio snatches etc).

OurJud
I kind of assumed this would be the case. Shame about the soundbites grey area. I can just imagine my game's intro with the RD theme tune :D

Silver
Well you could give it a whirl. The worst that'd probably happen is you'd get a cease and desist letter. And Alex might delete it.

ejm29
As others have said, as far as free fan games go, I think your safe. The amount of games on here that are based on movies or books is massive. Even some the editors picks are based on movie's. :)