Should I use Java or go with Quest for this project?

lightwriter
I'm working on a huge project that is a text adventure...
I can't decide which path to take go on an independent path with Java or go along the road of using Quest...
It's going to be a huge project and I know for a fact that in order to play it with Quest you'll have to download it anyways since it'd be too laggy online.
However, if I go with Java I'll have to create my save system, which I'm not entirely sure how to do.
I just don't know...

The Pixie
If you go with Java it will be twice as big a project, as first you will have to develop your own game system (parser, editor, etc.).

You should also think about how people will play it. Will they have to download a Java program to run on their PC? A lot of people may be reluctant because of the security implications (the implications are true of Quest too, but this is a reputable web site, so the barrier to download is smaller). If you run it as an applet, how do you save games? Around 15% of computers do not have Java so will not be able to run your game.

Alternatively, you could run it on a web server, and there are a few frameworks to choose from. You should also think about where it would be hosted.

Given Quest is all in XML, and Java can process XML, you could write the game in Quest, then write a Java program that will load in your Quest file, and actually play the game (obviously scripts, including functions and commands, would have to be converted to Java at that point).

Pertex
The Pixie wrote:Given Quest is all in XML, and Java can process XML, you could write the game in Quest, then write a Java program that will load in your Quest file, and actually play the game (obviously scripts, including functions and commands, would have to be converted to Java at that point).

Isn't Alex writing a Javascript converter/framework that can read ASLX-files and start the game directly in the browser?

Watcher55
I'd go with Quest, as it does so much for you already that you'd otherwise have to re-invent. And there are wheels within wheels within wheels when it comes to developing a robust parser and game system.
Quest does have some limitations, but if they prove critical, from my experience it would be far easier to work your way around them than to write your own entire game system.
The advice you can get on these forums is also something that would be a big help.

Marzipan
Quest has a built in community and covers all the basics. Any other functionality needed can be added far more easily than it would be in Java and with help readily available on the forums.

Why reinvent the wheel?