QuestJS - sort of an update

Hi all!

There were two of us trying to use Quest JS to convert our .quest files to HTML, CSS, and JS (ready to be zipped and published), and we were having problem. So a sort of patch has emerged.

If you have the latest (last) release of Quest JS, just replace the game.js file in the Release directory with this one.

I've got 5 games converted which all run flawlessly, and 2 (one with a map displayed, the other with all sorts of crazy scripting going on) which don't work at all.

I will add the functions which are needed for the map in a day or so, and I'll share more about the other error if I can't fix it.

https://gist.github.com/KVonGit/05980d7595cfd18487ec28663a872b66/raw/9831f3ac41767dd1bc1ffaf68e7f2f2c96034a51/game.js


Hi,
I would like to use Quest JS (to avoid expired session). So I went to
https://github.com/textadventures/quest-js

but i can’t find an executable, a setup, something to install and run. How should I start to use it?

Btw: someone knows if Quest 6 is still in development?

Thank you
Luca


Hello,

Quest-JS

You have to build it with Visual Studio. You would open the file QuestJS.sln.

...or you can get this last release by Alex:

https://github.com/textadventures/quest-js/releases/download/v0.2.2-alpha/questjs_20141108.zip

You can run questQuestCompiler.exe after unzipping that file.

If you want the game.js file with the revisions we've add so far, you can get it here:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/KVonGit/05980d7595cfd18487ec28663a872b66/raw/9831f3ac41767dd1bc1ffaf68e7f2f2c96034a51/game.js

NOTE: Some games will not compile, and some things may not work (or not work correctly) when a game does compile.


Quest 6

I don't think Quest 6 is currently being worked on by anyone, but I may be mistaken.

You can build its editor with Visual Studio, just like Quest's current version and Quest JS, but it still only seems to run in Windows.

You use npm and gulp to run the player, though. I have gotten this to work in Linux (without compiling the Quest 6 editor at all), but it only runs blank Quest 6 games for some reason. (Meaning you can only load and play a game as it is once you've created it. If you add anything, the game will not play. It will load, but you can't enter any commands.)


You can see the known issues concerning Quest JS here:
https://github.com/KVonGit/quest-js/issues

Feel free to post any fixes you may know of!


Thank you K.V.

I tried: choosed profile "web" and then any combination of checked option: debug mode, minify, gamebook or nothing.
Finally I press the "compile" button and it does something:

Loaded successfully
Copying dependencies
Saving
Copying resources
Finished

Then it populates the destination folder and open a tab in browser with a command bar: "tap link or type here". But there's no game. I used both game.js files.

It' my game non translatable, or I do something wrong?


It sounds like your game has something in it that is throwing the compiler off. That's what happens to me sometimes.

Is there a map?

If so, turn it off and try again. (That helps sometimes.)

Quest JS is honestly beyond my comprehension for the most part.

If you read through the issues I posted the link to, there's someone more knowledgeable than I posting his fixes.


If I run a game with no map and no fancy functions or commands added, it works.

The panes don't really work, but one of the issues on my fork on GitHub includes a fix for that.


ALSO: any timed output get skipped over, with no errors thrown or anything.


I turned off the map, but it doesn' work. So I created a new game, and I only added a brief description in the room in it. Then I published via tool menu and so I was sure that such a simple game couldn't fail. Instead, result is ever the same: it compiles everything, but the output file is that command bar "tap link or type here" and nothing else

I'm going to make some other attempts.

Thank you for support.


If you'd like to paste the game's code here, I can run it through my compiler and see what happens.


Just an example to show my copy of game.js makes QuestJS work a little bit.

  1. I downloaded this:
    https://github.com/textadventures/quest-js/releases/download/v0.2.2-alpha/questjs_20141108.zip

  2. I unzipped it.

  3. I replaced the file named game.js in that folder with this copy of game.js:
    https://gist.githubusercontent.com/KVonGit/05980d7595cfd18487ec28663a872b66/raw/9831f3ac41767dd1bc1ffaf68e7f2f2c96034a51/game.js

  4. I ran the compiler

  5. I zipped the folder containing the newly created files

  6. I published it here:

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/skktuydmokwmmfgsbrv4za/questjs-example


Log in to post a reply.

Support

Forums