complex conversations?

Hello, first time posting here.

I'm starting to create my first NPC in a text adventure and I was wondering if there were any efficient ways to create conversations and branching dialog paths.
For an example, I might want to put nice or aggressive options for the player to choose from which would lead to the NPC reacting a certain way, and then the player would have new options in response to that, etc etc, and eventually if the right path was chosen they might get an item or something, if that all makes sense.

I have the first part set up where I set a variable with the topics, show a menu, and add a switch. I assume I can just keep repeating that and run the same script with different options as you get further in but I feel like it'd end up getting really messy really fast and hard to keep track of. Is there a better way to go about this?

There are all sorts of ways of doing this, in part determined by how the player will interact. Will the player type ASK LARA ABOUT HEDGEHOG, or TALK TO LARA and then select "Hedgehog" from a list.

There is a library that can handle the latter here (but only for the desktop version):
https://github.com/ThePix/quest/wiki/Library:-Conversations