Buggy as all Thanatos

Hello, new user here.

Anyways, been using quest for awhile. Anyone notice how the Windows version constantly throws up errors (Especially when adding scripts) and randomly stops functioning, especially when loading script heavy parts? If I've accidentially missed a "FIX_MAJOR_BUGS" patch, please let me know: I downloaded, like, two days ago.

For example-
Deleting a long expression: CRASH
Loading object with lots of script lines: CRASH
Hitting the wrong button: CRASH
Doing much of anything: CRASH

Oh, and running your game also crashes. Or loading an object.

Not had any of those errors and haven't had Quest crash either. Maybe you are low on system resources (RAM, Drive Space etc).

I've had these issues (except for me it's usually freezing for a bit, not crashing, although I have experienced crashing) and it only pertains to there being a lot of scripting on the page. If I'm on a page that has tons'o'code, it takes a while to switch from code view to the GUI, takes an extra 5 seconds or so to save, or start the game. It will freeze for a bit, even sometimes saying 'not responding', before working again. I've had a few scary moments where I hadn't saved in quite awhile and though it was going to crash.

When there isn't a ton of scripting on the page, it runs like a dream.

My system has plenty of power (for this). 12 gigs ram, i5 4440 @ 3.1 ghz, plenty of drive space, modern graphics card (can play new games on high settings), etc.

I just think the program in GUI code view or just the straight GUI can't handle a lotta stuff at once. For whatever reason.

(also, just for shits and giggles, if I were you I'd try uninstalling it, restarting your computer, then reinstalling it).

I use some pretty big scripts, and have never had a problem like that. I do get an error message when deleting or moving objects occasionally, but Quest still keeps going even then. I do not think I have ever had it freeze or crash where I lost anything.

What is the error message you are seeing?

How much code we talkin' here? I've got pages with around 500 lines of code and a few (small) images. It's mostly if then/if then/if then and setting flags and adding/removing pagelinks and stuff like that.

I'm trying to write an open world RPG in gamebook mode, I'm having a great time, but there's a lot of conditions every location requires to make the world internally consistent and feel natural when you're walking around it and re-meeting characters and stuff like that.

Those pages will freeze up for like 5 to 7 second when loading them in the editor. No error message.

I'm pretty sure it depends on the computer you use it with. Definitely the case when I tried using it. (I'd also take the advice of re-installing and re-starting everything.)

If there is no error, then
I think you are just overloading Quest...
It happens when you are creating a world.
:)
Sounds cool tho...

5-7 seconds per page? or just while loading up.

also note that a lot of issues have been fixed from people not having at all (or missing specific files) or not having up to date: '.net' files, and then getting the '.net' files installed. I don't really know what these '.net' files are myself, other than something to do with how networking/online works and being able to also run various things on your computers too.

wiki explains about this '.net framework' stuff well:

ht.tps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

(I should have read this myself ... as now I understand what this .net frame work is myself, lol)

I've been doing the suggestions (restarting etc) and they seem to have helped a bit. Though I just stay in code mode as much as I can and try not to touch script heavy stuff, since crashes still sorta happen.