QuestKit now on npm

Alex
I've published an alpha version of QuestKit to npm. To install it, make sure you have Node.js installed and then run this on a command line:

npm install questkit -g

That will give you a new command "questkit". You can try it out on a test file - currently the only one that exists is test.yaml, which you can download here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/texta ... /test.yaml

questkit test.yaml

That will generate an index.html file which you can run in a browser. The UI is incredibly basic at the moment. I am doing most of my testing using the CLI option:

questkit test.yaml --cli

Instead of generating an HTML file, that will simply run the text adventure immediately in your terminal window. This is a ridiculously rapid way of testing things out, as you have no need to load or refresh a browser window.

Walkthroughs are supported. Type "run" to list all walkthroughs defined in a game, or type "run test" to run the walkthrough named "test".

Pertex
OK, here some additional tips for dummys like me

Alex wrote:To install it, make sure you have Node.js installed and then run this on a command line:

npm install questkit -g

First open the console and change to a directory where you have writing rights e.g. c:\temp

Alex wrote:
That will give you a new command "questkit". You can try it out on a test file - currently the only one that exists is test.yaml, which you can download here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/texta ... /test.yaml

questkit test.yaml

When I tried this I got the message "Can't find the command questkit." so I startet the command with the complete path:

C:\temp>C:\temp\node_modules\.bin\questkit c:\temp\node_modules\questkit\example
s\test\test.yaml

Alex
Make sure you use the -g option - that will install it globally, which will give you a "questkit" command. You might need to do this from a Command Prompt with admin rights possibly.

Pertex
Does it make sense to create issues for questkit at the moment?

Alex
If you like... gotta log them somewhere...