Light Writer's Video Tutorials - feel free to send requests

lightwriter
I'm making a new series where I make tutorials for different aspects of Quest.
Here are the tutorials:
Tutorial #1: Creating A New Game and Naming Conventions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt7YbHJVNBo
Tutorial #2: Creating Objects and Rooms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDGTRJqVgA
Tutorial #3: Directional Exits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7AgrS9URIs

OurJud
I'll look forward to these when you get to the more complex stuff :)

XanMag
A couple quick things. None of which are crucial to your tutorials, but thought you should know.

1. It is okay to have an 'Alias' for rooms and objects but you don't really need them as long as you name them what you want them to be called in game. For example, if you gave the 'redChair' the name 'red chair', or 'Red Chair' initially there is not a need to put anything in the 'Alias' box. The only real need for the 'Alias', I think, is if you have two 'red chair' objects in the game. One will be named 'red chair' and the second will be named 'red chair1' by default. For 'red chair1' you will want to add the alias 'red chair' so it doesn't get read in the game as 'red chair1'.

2. You accidentally misspelled 'directional' in your YouTube video. :D

3. I have a GUI-tutorial game about 80% completed. I'd be happy to turn the .aslx file over to you so you can maybe use it to make tutorials for the sections I have completed in the game. In short, the room titles are common questions/problems I see on the forum. In the room, you can play it out and see what it looks like, and you can look at the .aslx file and see the mechanics behind it. I'm also in the process of finishing up my 'explain room' commands for each room. When the player types 'explain room' they will get an explanation on how I used the GUI to create the desired effect. Let me know if you want to take a look at it and I will email it to you or add it to this thread. I'd also be game to try and just email you YouTube tutorials derived from my GUI-tutorial and you could just add them to your list, but... I've never posted videos before nor do I know how to capture video/audio to place on YouTube! :)

Anyway, let me know. Good luck!

XanMag

lightwriter
XanMag wrote:A couple quick things. None of which are crucial to your tutorials, but thought you should know.

1. It is okay to have an 'Alias' for rooms and objects but you don't really need them as long as you name them what you want them to be called in game. For example, if you gave the 'redChair' the name 'red chair', or 'Red Chair' initially there is not a need to put anything in the 'Alias' box. The only real need for the 'Alias', I think, is if you have two 'red chair' objects in the game. One will be named 'red chair' and the second will be named 'red chair1' by default. For 'red chair1' you will want to add the alias 'red chair' so it doesn't get read in the game as 'red chair1'.

2. You accidentally misspelled 'directional' in your YouTube video. :D

3. I have a GUI-tutorial game about 80% completed. I'd be happy to turn the .aslx file over to you so you can maybe use it to make tutorials for the sections I have completed in the game. In short, the room titles are common questions/problems I see on the forum. In the room, you can play it out and see what it looks like, and you can look at the .aslx file and see the mechanics behind it. I'm also in the process of finishing up my 'explain room' commands for each room. When the player types 'explain room' they will get an explanation on how I used the GUI to create the desired effect. Let me know if you want to take a look at it and I will email it to you or add it to this thread. I'd also be game to try and just email you YouTube tutorials derived from my GUI-tutorial and you could just add them to your list, but... I've never posted videos before nor do I know how to capture video/audio to place on YouTube! :)

Anyway, let me know. Good luck!

XanMag

Thanks for the feedback; I am aware that alias is not needed but it's a bad habit to name things with spaces in code because the code doesn't always recognize an object with a space as 1 object and tries to read it as 2 seperate words.

XanMag
Hmmm. I learn something every day! Thanks! :)