How can I make the Squiffy Background Black?

minecraftpsyco99
I need to have the Squiffy Background black, How do I do that?

bgbg
As I was telling someone in another thread, I'm not an expert but I can tell you what seems to have worked for me.

1. In the downloaded version of Squiffy, build the story you are working on. (One way to do this: click "Build" at the top of the screen to open the menu, then select "Build" from the drop-down menu.)
squiffy example.jpg

2. Open up the folder that has your Squiffy game in it. (To do this, click "Build" to open the drop-down menu--as in the picture above--but then select "Open Folder" from the drop-down menu.)
3. In that folder you just opened, look for the file style.css. Open style.css in a program that handles plain text files, like wordpad.
4. In the style.css file, paste in the first example from this page http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp but change the color to black. Save style.css.
5. In the same folder as style.css, find the index.html file. Open this in a web browser to see if it looks the way you want. If you've done something to the style.css file that completely messes it up, just build again from Squiffy to start over.
6. When the index.html file looks the way you want in the browser, save a copy of the style.css file in a safe place where it won't get automatically written over the next time you hit "build" in Squiffy.
7. If, later, you need to build again in Squiffy for some reason--after you build, replace the style.css in the game folder (which will be the one that Squiffy has automatically generated there) with a copy of your "safe" copy of style.css.

If the part of the screen that's black is not the part you want to be black, try putting that background-color line in some of the other sections of the style.css file, instead of in the "body" section, and see what happens.

(Edited to clarify)

minecraftpsyco99
bgbg wrote:As I was telling someone in another thread, I'm not an expert but I can tell you what seems to have worked for me.

1. Make sure you've clicked "build" in Squiffy.
2. Outside of Squiffy, open up the folder that has your Squiffy game in it. Look for the file style.css. Open that in a program that handles plain text files, like wordpad.
3. In the style.css file, paste in the first example from this page http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp but change the color to black. Save.
4. In the same folder as style.css, find the index.html file. Open this in a web browser to see if it looks the way you want. If you've done something to the style.css file that completely messes it up, just build again from Squiffy to start over.
5. When the index.html file looks the way you want in the browser, save a copy of the style.css file in a safe place where it won't get automatically written over the next time you hit "build" in Squiffy.
6. If, later, you need to build again in Squiffy for some reason--after you build, replace the style.css in the game folder (which will be the one that Squiffy has automatically generated there) with a copy of your "safe" copy of style.css.

If the part of the screen that's black is not the part you want to be black, try putting that background-color line in some of the other sections of the style.css file, instead of in the "body" section, and see what happens.

Is there an easier way to do this, because I only need about three or so of the screens black.

bgbg
What do you mean when you say screen? A section of the Squiffy story? Because as far as I can tell, the entire story plays out on the same html page--it's just the visible text that changes.

If you want to make just the background behind the text black for a particular block of text, you could try something like this in Squiffy itself:

[[MySection]]:
<span style="background-color:black;">
Put text here.
And more text.
And all the rest of the text.
</span>

I have not tested this, and don't know if it will have the effect you want. There's more about css on this page. The "inline styles" example is similar to what I've got here.

minecraftpsyco99
That'd work for like Highlighting, but I'd like a way to make the entire page (Besides the image) black.

bgbg
Sorry, I don't know how to change the web page color during play.

ethanqman
I can't find a file with my squiffy in it. Any help?

bgbg
ethanqman wrote:I can't find a file with my squiffy in it. Any help?

I've edited my post above to try to clarify. See step 2.

ethanqman
bgbg wrote:

"ethanqman"

I can't find a file with my squiffy in it. Any help?

I've edited my post above to try to clarify. See step 2.

im sorry lol i still cannot find the "build" button. Im on text adventures website, and i cant find it.

bgbg
My instructions are for the downloaded version of Squiffy. It looks like the website version is set up differently. I've edited my post again to clarify.

ethanqman
bgbg wrote:My instructions are for the downloaded version of Squiffy. It looks like the website version is set up differently. I've edited my post again to clarify.

Yeah that worked for me. Thanks man! I want to thank you bgbg you saved me on this project lol. http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... -adventure this is my final copy. It was okay considering its my first time ever coding something. Anything else i could improve?

bgbg
ethanqman wrote:

"bgbg"

My instructions are for the downloaded version of Squiffy. It looks like the website version is set up differently. I've edited my post again to clarify.

Yeah that worked for me. Thanks man! I want to thank you bgbg you saved me on this project lol. http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... -adventure this is my final copy. It was okay considering its my first time ever coding something. Anything else i could improve?

You're welcome.

There were a few spelling issues, so I would run it through a spell checker. And sometimes when it sent me back to an earlier passage to retry, it didn't tell me that's what was happening. For instance, it would say "You died" but not "Try again" so that could be a little confusing. Also, one time it sent me back to a different part than I was expecting, further back than the part where I made the wrong choice.

Hope that helps. Good luck!