Unseeing the seen

Bluevoss
Not talking about some bloody, horrible murder scene. No. Just something seen in squiffy.

I like that "seen" element and have used it in a number of places. Works just fine and adds a touch of realism to the game.

However, I also have a number of exit points. As a courtesy, I have a [[Click here to play again]](start) command at each location.

I've noticed things that shouldn't have been over my playtesting. But recently, I saw something (in a short game) that simply couldn't be. And then I realized that looping back to the start (as far as the game is concerned) is nothing more than jumping to a new section. The game has not ended. What's seen is still seen.

Is there a way to clear this out at the beginning of the game? (I don't want to specifically unsee specific things. I want to start the game fresh in the first section).

Dennis Carlyle
Bluevoss wrote:
[. . .]

Is there a way to clear this out at the beginning of the game? (I don't want to specifically unsee specific things. I want to start the game fresh in the first section).

You've got the built-in "Restart" link at the top of the browser page. I assume that clears everything. If you don't want to have that available, you can try:

squiffy.story.restart();

or

squiffy.story.begin();

I see these in the "story.js" file, but I don't know JS well enough to be sure about what all they do.

Bluevoss
squiffy.story.restart(); - this sorta works. Yes, it will clear the browser and restart the adventure. The downside; it makes the display very touchy - you click on a new section link and it doesn't scroll, it blinks to the next section. This makes for very jarring behavior. My thought is that, when the screen scrolls, you at least know what you've already read. When it flashes forward, you lose track and have to reacquire. It also makes it possible to click a following option without meaning to - there is no downtime between clicks.

squiffy.story.begin(); - this didn't seem to work at all. The program just sat there.

In response, I'm going to force my players to scroll up and manually click the restart link. That seems to work. For that, I've added a comment regarding this in my instructions.