Downloaded an old Game I made to correct it, but can't edit it

I created a game using Quest 5.5 and donwloaded it today. I can play it online or using Quest 5.8, but I just can't edit the game because it's not an ".aslx" file, being a ".quest" file.

How can I see the files from my game and edit it again?

The game is this one:
http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/0tu8qt75xuocx6uyl35qwa/dawn

It would be easiest if you had the aslx file from the original game. If you made it using the online editor, you can get this by using the download button on the "your games" page.

If you don't have the original file, it's possible to extract the compiled aslx from a published game; but this isn't ideal.
Take the .quest file, and rename it so the extension is .zip - then open it and extract the file game.aslx.

This is where you start having problems.
By default, a new game will use 2 libraries: Core.aslx and CoreEditor.aslx (or GamebookCore.aslx and GamebookCoreEditor.aslx). This enables the editor to show you the right tabs for the kind of game you are making.
However, the game.aslx file you have now will include all the functions and types from Core.aslx - leading to a very cluttered editor. But somewhat more confusing, compilation strips out all the information about what the different tabs in the editor should look like, and whether an object inherits editor_object or editor_room.

Before you can do anything useful in the editor, you will need to insert a line near the start of the file. Openn your game.aslx in a text editor (vim is good, or notepad, or whatever you normally use).

After the line:

<asl version="550">

you should add:

<include ref="Core.aslx" />
  <include ref="CoreEditor.aslx" />

Now you should be able to open your game. However, you are now editing a Quest 5.8 game, using the Quest 5.5 libraries that were included in it when it was compiled. (As soon as you open a game in the new editor, the file version will change from 550 to 580; which among other things means that any turnscripts in your game will no longer work.

You will need to modify these functions so that they call the function FinishTurn at a sensible time. You may be able to delete them from your game, and it will pick up the new versions from the current libraries. However, I don't know if this will lead to any other compatibility issues.
The functions that now deal with FinishTurn are:

• StartGame
  • ShowMenuResponse
  • HandleCommand
  • ResolveNextName
  • ResolveNameFromList
  • and FinishTurn itself

There will also be a number of new features shown in the editor that won't work unless you remove the old versions of the functions that are responsible for implementing them.

If you have any more problems with this, I'm sure people would be glad to help. But the more complex stuff your game does, the harder it will be to make it work smoothly.

Where is this "your games" page? I can't seem to find it

Also, taking the Game.aslx file worked, but it doesn't open when I added the new lines you suggested, while it worked without them. Should I perhaps use to 5.5 program editor to avoid potential problems?

You see "My Games" when you click on "Create" at the top of the website. You can download games from there, if you created them with the web editor

But if you can open it, then I guess you don't need to worry about it :)