How to make meaningful choices?

For example, act 1 - four outcomes, 2 are brother is dead, 2 are brother is saved by player.

At act 3, player meets his brother in warzone, admist all that cactylsm, they finally found a shimmer of hope.

So this is complicated, in order to continue story at act 3, player must save the brother, and most of the published paid text games were like, oophs, your brother is dead, you made the wrong choice, please restart the game.
I do not want this option because:

1. My game is rpg with lots of inventories and weapons, restarting means player have to gather and note down everything again, quite nasty.
  2. If player are forced to save the brother, is it really a story with meaningful choices?
  3. I can blindly continue the act 3 while brother was dead, because it is a fighting rpg anyway, nobody reads the story anyway, but as a creator, this might not work out for me in the long term.

In act 3, if the brother is dead, then you meet a friend of the brother and continue from there.

Thanks for the professional answer.

I guess I am stuck between two dimensions.
One is to make ultra good game that plays out differently every time you play it,
and the other is a story game that I can actually keep up with the game making process.