Science Discussions

HegemonKhan
@XanMag:

I still haven't found/gotten the answer as to what can/does actually happen in space (when your spacesuit is torn/damaged/no space suit), and what of those things, will kill you first, laughs. Do you explode, do you die from background radiation, do you suffocate, etc etc etc

if interested XanMag, I'm a huge science nerd, and thus love to talk science stuff, hehe.

What subject(s) in science do you know and/or have degrees in?

----------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------

awesome, I love biology (well, I love every science field, but whatever, lol), and I love advanced physics (such as outerspace) stuff too.

------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZFJSDTNNE (not the best example, but it does show how very little pressure difference, through small temperature differences, can crush metal with ease - well, I got to find a better vid, where you really see the metal drum crumple or explode - the reverse of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsoE4F2Pb20 (a bit better vid of pressure implosion)

if you have a very strong metal container, and you remove all the gas from it (making it a vacuum/outerspace inside), that difference in pressure of having no pressure on the inside and whatever pressure on the outside (normal would be earth's sea level of gravity/atmospheric-air pressure, the normal body weight of force of air+gravity pushing on you and you pushing back on the air and gravity, which is what we call or know as body weight and a "G" force), and you hit that metal container, it'll crumple like it were (well to a lesser degree obviously-hyperbolizing a bit here) at the bottom of the mariana trench.

I wish I knew the math (actual measurements/metrics) of the physics/forces involved, but wouldn't the same be happening with your body when unprotected by a pressured space suit in outerspace, except in the opposite direction, as it's the outside (outerspace) which is the vacuum, and you the container have the pressure, so instead of crumpling (imploding), you'd explode? (wouldn't there be no slow leaking of nitrogen, aka the benz, from your bones and body, but a rapid escape, an explosion of nitrogen bursting your bones and body apart?)

I'm pretty sure most metals/alloys are stronger than bone (only ~ 1000 lbs/in^2 of force to break femur bone - strongest bone in body aside from your temple bone of your skull), and while tendon and especially ligaments are very strong (I forgot the ACL strength ~ it's been over a decade since I tore my ACL and knew everything about it from the doctors prepping me for the surgery lol), it's not covering your (entire) body, weak skin is.

---------

(thank you for bringing this up, as) I forgot about the freezing factor of space (is it 0 K, Kelvin, or just really close to 0 K ? - I don't mean heated space from a nearby star) ... wouldn't that kill you? all life, including humans, can't survive much of a temperature change (though we are able to survive a larger change in temp than most organisms, but that's still not a very significant amount, compared to how cold space is compared to temperatures that we live/surive at on earth)

--------

radiation (energy/E-M force) spectra:

shortWL: background (BG), gamma, x-ray, UV, VL, IR, micro, radio (FM, AM) :longWL

also, what about background radiation, this is the most deadly radiation that we know of (shortest WL on the radiation spectrum, - from the Big Bang and Inflation), wouldn't this level of most deadly radiation, mutate-kill our cells instantly, killing us?

shorter WL, means that it can bend around smaller things, meaning that it's able to recongize/effect/mutate that thing, which is what makes it more deadly, mutating our cells. This bending can be demonstrated with VL (visible light ~ "light") and with tools letting us see other radiations (like radio waves coming from and going around the star), and it explains why FM gives a clearer signal, but is more limited in range (it can't bend around large hills/mountains), compared to AM (larger range - it can bend around hills/mountains, but weaker/worse signal).

--------

wouldn't heat leave your body, simply due to again pressure (outerspace is a lot less crowded than your body, just as the outside air is less crowded than inside of a balloon, and everything hates crowdedness --- "crowdedness" actually is a universal explanation of many of the numerous physics Laws combined into one: the Law of "Nothing Likes Crowdedness" - I want my space, HK and everything else, like particles and etc, holds out his arms!).

-------

the brain needs 80% of your oxygen, right? (that's why the huge jugular vein carrying oxygen rich black blood straight out of your heart and up your neck to your brain). without it, you go "brain dead", and thus following, "body/organ dead".

------

oh, if you're into biology, you have to watch this, just Wow Wow Wow! this guy is SO smart, he co-wrote/authored "The God Particle" !! Dick Teresi ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Particle_(book) ):

http://www.c-span.org/video/?305225-1/words-dick-teresi

"Never underestimate humanity's stupidity" .... "But, But, But, But, But, ..." ---- HK dies of laughter at how stupid and ignorant she is, what stupidity!

XanMag
HegemonKhan wrote:@XanMag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZFJSDTNNE (not the best example, but it does show how very little pressure difference, through small temperature differences, can crush metal with ease - well, I got to find a better vid, where you really see the metal drum crumple or explode - the reverse of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsoE4F2Pb20 (a bit better vid of pressure implosion)

In referencing your later comment, there is a partial vacuum inside. Always. One of the hardest things to imagine (at least for my students) is the absence of things. Space is essentially nothing. Think of all the things that go along with that namely heat transfer. How does heat transfer? It must have something to transfer INTO. Without that something, you will not get efficient heat transfer. That's why cold water is SO good at dropping your body temperature. Space is MUCH colder than a nearly frozen pond, for example, but the pond transfers your heat from your body much quicker than the void of space. I read somewhere that your body will lose about as much heat as a 100-w light bulb per minute (?). This would eventually kill you, but you'll die much faster due to asphyxia (lack of O2) and ebullism (swelling from escaping gas).

HegemonKhan wrote:I wish I knew the math (actual measurements/metrics) of the physics/forces involved, but wouldn't the same be happening with your body when unprotected by a pressured space suit in outerspace, except in the opposite direction, as it's the outside (outerspace) which is the vacuum, and you the container have the pressure, so instead of crumpling (imploding), you'd explode? (wouldn't there be no slow leaking of nitrogen, aka the benz, from your bones and body, but a rapid escape, an explosion of nitrogen bursting your bones and body apart?)

Gases (like those in the can demo) have very little cohesive forces, but liquids, on the other hand like your blood and water that makes up your body, do have a fairly strong cohesiveness. In other words, they "WANT" to stick together. This somewhat counters the pressure differences between your insides and outer space. Also, on top of that, your vessels and skin (!) are quite elastic, so there's no explosive force. There's a reason terrorist put pipe bombs in PIPES not latex balloons. A related note... you would NOT want to hold your breath in outer space, because the gas in your lungs WILL expand (small-no cohesive forces). This would kill you by 'exploding' your lungs'.

HegemonKhan wrote:(thank you for bringing this up, as) I forgot about the freezing factor of space (is it 0 K, Kelvin, or just really close to 0 K ? - I don't mean heated space from a nearby star) ... wouldn't that kill you? all life, including humans, can't survive much of a temperature change (though we are able to survive a larger change in temp than most organisms, but that's still not a very significant amount, compared to how cold space is compared to temperatures that we live/survive at on earth)

Space is not Zero K. That is a theoretical temperature where all particles would stop moving. If that happened to the floor you are standing on, you could literally see through it to your basement! Space still has a temperature (BMRs). It is ever cooling, however, and there are some pretty cool ideas on what happens when space does completely cool off, namely The Big Crunch Theory or the Big Freeze. But again... you need particles surrounding you to conduct heat away from your body so the temperature of space is one of your least concerns.

--------

HegemonKhan wrote:also, what about background radiation, this is the most deadly radiation that we know of (shortest WL on the radiation spectrum, - from the Big Bang and Inflation), wouldn't this level of most deadly radiation, mutate-kill our cells instantly, killing us?

Yes. Certainly a concern, but in outer space, there isn't a ton of radiation unless you are relatively close to a nearby star. If you were to hover just outside Earth's atmosphere certainly you've got a major issue on your hands, but even then, asphyxia would kill you before radiation would.

HegemonKhan wrote:wouldn't heat leave your body, simply due to again pressure (outerspace is a lot less crowded than your body, just as the outside air is less crowded than inside of a balloon, and everything hates crowdedness --- "crowdedness" actually is a universal explanation of many of the numerous physics Laws combined into one: the Law of "Nothing Likes Crowdedness" - I want my space, HK and everything else, like particles and etc, holds out his arms!).

See cohesion.