index.HTML file

I need more room to show my help directory than I can show on my #output div. (I changed it, smaller and fixed.) So I want to make a helpPage.HTML file to put in the game file and call from a script or store online and link to it. I haven't tried yet so haven't any clue.

How do I call the HTML file in a script? (in-game file or online...)

Will it even run in the game and follow the full page script, despite the set-up of the game? Without showing a tab and address bar and all that jazz.

Can I store it online and link to it? If an image can show by a link to a Url can a page of text? Will I have to send them to the page or can I have it play in the game?
Again,
I want to have the HTML file stored with the game folder and call it from a script.

I have a few approaches you could attempt, but I "can't post that here", so:

https://gist.github.com/KVonGit/757a126156314bbb29380252c358d4aa

That seems easy enough.
If I .hide the game panel, couldn't I .show a different div that will be big enough for the help page
or I could js.eval the game panel to a larger size?
I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.
Then I don't need to link anything and it should work online or not.

I already noted to the player the game will need to be downloaded and played on the desktop. I still need to learn how to write in a bootstrap manner. The game is slightly altered online and if the display size is changed everything is askew.
Has to be fullscreen.

Thanks for the advice. I will show my results.
Here the game as is. http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/5owqery9le61dbct_nndra/brig-stow

An easy fix I found...Change to a smaller font...Duh.
That's what happens when you work on coding all night. You over think stuff and ask questions because your brain shuts down.

if the display size is changed everything is askew

Err . . .

One of the first things to piss me off once I learned to fool with display settings was when I realized that nearly every computer has a different display size. I designed my game to print the exact amount of text to fill the screen at every turn, and the menus and panes were all lined up. I devised a way to force the user to download the game, and I added a trigger to end the game if a script found the online player.

Then, I switched to my other PC to test things out while my main PC was going through Windows Update Hell; I saw that all the trouble I'd gone through was for naught; and I went mad.

So...Your telling me that I am wasting my time creating my own divs and positions? Because most other computers will not show the graphics the same as mine? That Sucks. I could always have the players come over and play here at the house.

It might be a good idea to tell folks that if they are going to change anything Quest does, it may have this effect. Before they send years learning Quest programming when they know no other language beforehand. Sayin'๐Ÿ˜†

I thought things would be ok as long as the game was played on a desktop at fullscreen. Dog nuggets.๐Ÿ™„

I'm all about the learning anyway but still with the dog nuggets...๐Ÿถ๐Ÿฅ”
Lol

So...Your telling me that I am wasting my time creating my own divs and positions?

Maybe.

A number of games on this site are unplayable for me. My new laptop's screen is much higher resolution than my old one, and my vision is no longer that good. So I have my browser's default font size set a little larger than default. This means that if you're positioning anything to a specific number of pixels, the text might not fit in the box. Or if you set text to a pixelk size rather than a proportional size, the text is too small for me to read.

You can position elements in CSS as a number of pixels, or in inches, or in em. But you need to be careful not to make assumptions about how many ems are an inch, or how many pixels to an em. This is why in my layout scripts, I put a lot of effort into making sure everything is arranged according to the available space, and not making assumptions about how much that is. My adjusted sidebar script makes sure that if the window is too small to fit the number of displkayed panes, there is a scroll bar, and similar things.

If you want to make a div (or an iframe) take up the whole screen so it's easier to see the whole help text, that's easy enough. But you should make sure to set scrollY: auto rather than scrollY: hidden, so that users with a smaller screen can still see everything.

HTML was originally designed to brovide a flexible user interface. Which is why in previous versions there was a standard for <em> (emphasis) and <strong> (strong emphasis). For most people, these were treated the same as non-standard <i> and <b>. Using <em> reminds you that someone reading on a braille terminal, or with their computer reading the text aloud, will have that text emphasised in some way even if it isn't necessarily italic.

Making neat layouts that work regardless of the screen resolution and other text settings is possible, you've got all the tools you need. But it's very hard to get right, because you need to avoid making any assumptions about the user's layout. In the end, most times it's probably fine if you make something that will work for most users. But it's always nicer to get the impression that a game designer thought about how their work would adapt to a different screen size, or a different text size.

Sorry; mini-rant there. But there are so many different ways to play a game. I still remember when smartphones were a rare thing, and so many web designers made menus that you have to hover the mouse over to make them appear. We don't want to be those designers again. It's a little extra effort to make a layout that adapts to the device it's used on, and to the user's needs. Whether you make that effort is up to you :p

There's also a different way to position and size things. Pertex told me about it. We can use vw and vh in the CSS.

https://www.w3schools.com/CSSref/css_units.asp

Scroll down to Relative Lengths.

Here's where Pertex schooled me:

http://textadventures.co.uk/forum/quest/topic/oppns_i2cech0laswcyuca/resizing-the-panes