Can I do this with a quest gamebook?

I'm trying to decide between using twine and quest for a project.

Can I use the gamebook version of quest to do this?

http://twinery.org/questions/1966/click-a-word-and-reveal-another-line-of-text

As far as I know, it can be done in different ways.

However, there is a tricky thing you must do. Instead of making your Gamebook using the Gamebook mode, you could use the Text Adventure mode. Turn off command bar, map, inventory and anything you dont need. By doing this you can set the game to describe certain objects and show their hyperlinks, so "Cats" will appear in blue and underlined. When "On take", you may set to another word or phrase or effect appears.

If you don't want the player knows what word may be clicked, there is a set of things you need doing. You could keep the command bar in the game, does not show objects in description and let the player use the "take" or "look at" command to get the same effect. If the player supposes there is something hidden in the word "Cats", the player types "Look at cats" and the additional content shows up.

I am currently working on a Gamebook using the Text Adventure mode for some particular reasons, but I found it is specially good when comes to programming by GUI, because it offers more coding options.

I hope it helped.

Ah, smart. Thanks!

Quick question - are there any good forum threads I can read on formatting a gamebook in text adventure mode?

Hmm, don't mind me also asking, but I followed all of the instructions here: https://textadventures.co.uk/forum/samples/topic/4772/how-to-make-a-text-adventure-look-like-a-gamebook

But I am still trying to figure out how to have a player click a link and have some more text appear without making them go into a new room? Is this possible? I've made too much progress with my current game to try and switch over to squiffy to use the passages/sections feature.

If you're using the text adventure libraries to create a gamebook, there's no reason you couldn't put an object in the room and allow the player to look at it.

In gamebook mode, you could probably make something relatively easily with javascript if you just want text to appear. <a onclick="addText('Something about dogs')">love</a>

If you want something more like Squiffy's sections (where it can run scripts, change variables, and contain more links), it would probably be ten minutes of effort to implement something like that using ASLEvent to process the click.

Currently I am having a vibe of "Informed decision", so I migrated into the Text Adventure mode to write a Gamebook. What I am doing is treating rooms as pages (mostly), removing the inventory (not a must and at some projects I figure I will keep it), removing the compass and removing the command bar. So, I treat every choice in the game as an object in the page. By clicking on "Look at" the player has a deeper information about that specific choice, how the character plans doing it and possible consequences. By clicking on "Take" the player actually takes that option and the game moves to another page (room).

I think I found a cheat to do what I want to do. I just set up my game so that some links clear the screen when the player goes to a new room (so it feels like the player went to a new 'page') while some links don't clear the screen when the player goes to a new room (making it feel like the player is on the same page). It might not be the smoothest solution, but I'm having no problems with it. Thanks for the ideas though!