Explore and Travel Code Sample (by HK)

HegemonKhan
this way floating around in my individual posts in the main forum (yuck: annoying to search through my posts to find it)... so I'm posting it here as a thread, for people to easily find it.

-------------

here's a code sample (and is a test game too ~ let me know if it's not combatible with current version of quest) of moving around without using Exits:

this can help you understand Lists and Dictionaries, but it's of a bit more advanced usage of them, so it'll be hard for people new to Lists and dictionaries to follow along and understand what is going on in the code.

HK's 'Explore' and 'Travel' code:

(it's old+poor code, I got a bit confused at the time with using 'ListCount (xxx) - 1', getting it to work in an alternative weird more complex way than I needed to, but it's functional... hopefully it's bug free anyways... lol)

<asl version="540">
<include ref="English.aslx" />
<include ref="Core.aslx" />
<game name="Testing Game Stuff">
<gameid>eef801a1-4e6b-4b0a-bdbf-8f3ecfa8389c</gameid>
<version>1.0</version>
<firstpublished>2013</firstpublished>
<turns type="int">0</turns>
<statusattributes type="simplestringdictionary">turns=</statusattributes>
<start type="script">
msg ("Important Note:")
msg ("Type in: help")
</start>
</game>
<object name="homeland">
<inherit name="editor_room" />
<object name="player">
<inherit name="editor_object" />
<inherit name="editor_player" />
</object>
</object>
<object name="grassland">
</object>
<object name="plains">
</object>
<object name="desert">
</object>
<object name="tundra">
</object>
<object name="swampland">
</object>
<object name="mountains">
</object>
<object name="forest">
</object>
<object name="wasteland">
</object>
<object name="coastland">
</object>
<object name="hills">
</object>
<command name="help_command">
<pattern>help</pattern>
<script>
help_function
</script>
</command>
<command name="explore_command">
<pattern>explore</pattern>
<script>
explore_function
</script>
</command>
<command name="travel_command">
<pattern>travel</pattern>
<script>
travel_function
</script>
</command>
<object name="data_object">
<inherit name="editor_object" />
<travel_string_list type="simplestringlist">homeland</travel_string_list>
<homeland_events_string_list type="simplestringlist">grassland_discovery;plains_discovery;desert_discovery;tundra_discovery;swampland_discovery;forest_discovery;mountains_discovery;hills_discovery;wasteland_discovery;coastland_discovery</homeland_events_string_list>
<homeland_events_script_dictionary type="scriptdictionary">
<item key="grassland_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "grassland")
msg ("You've discovered the grassland! Now, you can travel to the grassland and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="plains_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "plains")
msg ("You've discovered the plains! Now, you can travel to the plains and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="desert_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "desert")
msg ("You've discovered the desert! Now, you can travel to the desert and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="tundra_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "tundra")
msg ("You've discovered the tundra! Now, you can travel to the tundra and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="swampland_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "swampland")
msg ("You've discovered the swampland! Now, you can travel to the swampland and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="forest_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "forest")
msg ("You've discovered the forest! Now, you can travel to the forest and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="mountains_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "mountains")
msg ("You've discovered the mountains! Now, you can travel to the mountains and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="hills_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "hills")
msg ("You've discovered the hills! Now, you can travel to the hills and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="wasteland_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "wasteland")
msg ("You've discovered the wasteland! Now, you can travel to the wasteland and explore it!")
</item>
<item key="coastland_discovery">
list add (data_object.travel_string_list, "coastland")
msg ("You've discovered the coastland! Now, you can travel to the coastland and explore it!")
</item>
</homeland_events_script_dictionary>
</object>
<turnscript name="global_turnscript">
<enabled />
<script>
game.turns = game.turns + 1
</script>
</turnscript>
<function name="help_function">
msg ("Type 'explore' to explore your area.")
msg ("Type 'travel' to travel to different areas.")
</function>
<function name="explore_function"><![CDATA[
switch (game.pov.parent) {
case (homeland) {
result_1 = ListCount (data_object.homeland_events_string_list) - 1
if (result_1 >= 0) {
result_2 = StringListItem (data_object.homeland_events_string_list,GetRandomInt(0,result_1))
invoke (ScriptDictionaryItem (data_object.homeland_events_script_dictionary,result_2))
on ready {
foreach (item_x, split ("grassland_discovery;plains_discovery;desert_discovery;tundra_discovery;swampland_discovery;forest_discovery;mountains_discovery;hills_discovery;wasteland_discovery;coastland_discovery",";")) {
if (result_2 = item_x) {
list remove (data_object.homeland_events_string_list, result_2)
}
}
}
} else {
msg ("There seemingly is nothing left to explore in this area.")
}
}
}
]]></function>
<function name="travel_function">
show menu ("Where do you wish to travel?",data_object.travel_string_list,false) {
if (not game.pov.parent = GetObject (result)) {
game.pov.parent = GetObject (result)
} else {
msg ("You are already at this area.")
ask ("Try again?") {
if (result=true) {
travel_function
} else {
msg ("You realize that you need to discover a new area to travel to first, before you can travel to that place.")
}
}
}
}
</function>
</asl>

jaynabonne
Minor nitpick: in the interest of clarity (and people trying to understand how your code works), the turn script and the turns attribute are not necessary and can be removed.

HegemonKhan
just to add a bit more info~commentary along with~to Jay's post above:

as I myself now know recently (I wrote~did this code long before I had learnt recently that the actual~real 'turns' is done by the game engine), as Jay has already said above, the game engine's 'turns' has nothing to do with a custom 'turn' Integer Attribute (Jay actually made a post delving into explaining how the game engine's 'turns' work and what actions~things constitute as its 'turns' somewhere... I thought I had favorited~bookmarked it... but apparently not, and I don't know where to find it now... grrr), so a 'turns' Integer Attribute is only needed if you want to have such a display for the person playing the game (and~or as a basis for other game mechanics in your game), along with thus not needing the Turnscript either.

(it's not nitpicking, it's good to let people know that those things aren't needed, and maybe if you could re-explain how the real 'turns' of the game engine works, and what actions~things constitute as those real 'turns', as I can't remember where your post was that did just that... or maybe you know of where your post is... or can find it easier than I can... hmm, as it was a really useful... maybe it should be a made as a separate thread, though, instead of posting it here, as it's more important as it's own 'standalone' topic, and doesn't have too much to do with this one, aside from the confusion of people thinking a custom 'turns' Integer Attribute + Turnscript is required for my code to work, when they're not required at all, which I didn't know at the time I wrote~did my code, which I just copy and pasted here for this thread+post)