Third person English library

jaynabonne
Here is an English.aslx with the "you"s replaced with "he"s. (Sorry, I had to pick a gender. It should be easy enough to replace with "she" or "one" or whatever you wish.)

Just copy this into your game folder. Quest should pick it up instead of the default one. If anyone sees a problem, let me know.

Note: I did not change SelfGender, SelfAlias or SelfArticle, as I don't know in what context they're used. They can easily be changed if that was an incorrect omission.

Edit: I have updated the file with changes for the above as well.

Alex
You can find out where templates are used by searching the code - it's easy to do this on GitHub, e.g. https://github.com/textadventures/quest ... SelfGender

You can see SelfGender is used for pov_gender, which is the gender used when an object is the player. So it's used to generate sentences like "You pick it up".

It sounds like you'd want this to be "He/she picks it up" so I think Self* templates need changing too.

Templates can refer to other templates (at least, I'm pretty sure they can), so you could create a library that defines "He" or "She" only once, which would then be easier to adapt for either gender.

jaynabonne
Thanks, Alex. I had followed the trail of usages a little bit, but I wasn't arriving at any clarity. I've updated the file now to be (hopefully) complete.

Alex
Hmm, I'm not seeing a download link on this thread any more...

jaynabonne
Not sure how that happened. Maybe because I deleted it and then re-added it in the same submit? At any rate, it's back now. :)

OurJud
jaynabonne wrote:Here is an English.aslx with the "you"s replaced with "he"s. (Sorry, I had to pick a gender. It should be easy enough to replace with "she" or "one" or whatever you wish.)

Just copy this into your game folder. Quest should pick it up instead of the default one. If anyone sees a problem, let me know.

Note: I did not change SelfGender, SelfAlias or SelfArticle, as I don't know in what context they're used. They can easily be changed if that was an incorrect omission.

Edit: I have updated the file with changes for the above as well.

I downloaded this into my game folder, and the opened my game in desktop Quest. I can find the template in the Advanced tree, but how do I access it in order to change the default responses???

jaynabonne
Hmm. Not sure. It should just use it instead of the standard English.aslx, by copying it to the folder.

What do you mean "in order to change the default responses"? Do you mean you want to change things beyond what I did, or that it's not incorporating the changes I made?