How many rooms per session?

OurJud
Of course this depends on a few factors; time spent, getting bogged down with other aspects of the game, but if I get through five rooms in any one session, I've done remarkably well. And that's even when my descriptions average two or three lines at most :?

How about you?

Pertex
depends on the session. How long is your session?

OurJud
Good question. If I have a full day, I have Q open pretty much most of it. How much time I actually spend working on my game is a different matter. I'm the world's biggest procrastinator, and will find anything else to do rather than work on the bulk of my game.

If I had to answer, I'd say a session was a couple of hours.

My normal method is to write a room, imagine where I want the room to lead and then create the other rooms before adding the exits from the first room.

But what I've never tried, and think would probably help me progress, is to create and write a whole bunch of rooms in one sitting, and then add all the exits afterwards.

Marzipan
OurJud, ever try just pulling up a word processor and writing up rooms and their scenery objects one after another, then going in later to actually create and connect them in the developer?

I've done this a couple of times before when I had a map I could picture very clearly in my mind before I even started, and it worked out amazingly well. I feel ya though on that 'world's worst procrastinator' thing. :/ I can pull up Quest or another program and have it just sitting there all day, and only seem to work on it maybe 5 minutes at a time while I'm all over the house or the internet thinking up every other possible thing to do.

OurJud
Marzipan wrote:OurJud, ever try just pulling up a word processor and writing up rooms and their scenery objects one after another, then going in later to actually create and connect them in the developer?

That's a great development on what I had in mind, and is precisely what I'm going to do tomorrow. I don't plan my maps - I'm very much a 'make it up as I go along' type, so I think this will suit me very much.

Cheers!

XanMag
I'm a total train wreck! For X2, I made about 75% of my rooms over a two day period (exits and everything) and added more rooms that I needed as the story unfolded. I did not even have an idea as to how to end it, but it came together nicely. Comparing the two games (for me) I can tell X1 was built pretty much room by room because the hints/objects needed were pretty darn close to the puzzles that were in reference to, whereas X2 has a smattering of stuff all over and you need to discover how to properly use objects much longer distances away and/or much later in the game.

Furby McQuack on the other hand is a whopping ONE room large - that game took on a mind of its own and ended up being completely finished in an all nighter (4-5 hours if I remember correctly).

Enough of the shameless plugs... :lol:

Typically, I build as many rooms/objects forward as possible when I run into a programming problem that I cannot solve immediately. It's a nice little surprise when I get moving through an obstacle and discover most of the rooms and objects are already there and described!